You can recognize songs produced by Grammy award-winning music producer Telz when you hear his signature “Funkula” watermark. We asked him about the craziest five moments that made him realize how much of a star he is.
1. All of these moments happened after the “Twice As Tall” album dropped. I didn’t have a car at the time. So I got an Uber because I wanted to get shawarma. I entered the cab and the driver was like ‘you look familiar’. I was like, ‘oh nah, it’s not me.’ I was so sure he got the wrong guy but then he asked me what I did for a living and I said I was a banker. He refused oh, and insisted that I was the “funkula” producer. I was amazed, to be honest. That was the first time I realized I was famous.
2. It was in Ghana. Before then, Wiz had followed me on Instagram. Obviously, I produced some songs out there so people were just following me. I didn’t even know Wiz knew me already then. Efya and I went for Mugeez’s birthday. Then Wiz came and he was greeting everyone, then he got to me and he was like ‘hey, Telz bad guy.’ I was shocked. This was January, 2021. I didn’t even know he knew what I looked like.
3. The third one was when I got my Grammy certificate. I couldn’t believe my eyes. It was a surreal moment for me because I was just making beats with no plan of getting all these accolades that I have gotten so far. I felt bigger than I was the day before.
4. Another wow moment for me is every time a “big shot” interacts with me on social media. I am always like ‘ahan, do you even know me like that?’ Sometimes I check the profile of the person and find out that they are following me. The feeling never gets old. I am always in awe because to me, I am just an everyday easy-going guy.
5. last but not the least was an incident that happened in my estate. I was with my friend in a car and we were driving around the estate when all of a sudden, one of the resident security men in my estate raised his hand to stop our car. Initially, I was like ‘what is going on here?’ Then the guy responded by shouting ‘The greatest producer, funkula!’ I was amazed because I didn’t know anyone in the estate at the time. I was wondering how he recognized who I was.
What is DM 5?
DigiMillennials 5 brings you five of everything and anything in the music, film, art, culture, and entertainment spaces, featuring your favorite personalities. Share, like, and make a comment if you enjoyed this one.