You can recognize songs produced by Grammy award-winning music producer Telz when you hear his signature “Funkula” watermark. We asked him about the craziest five moments that made him realize how much of a star he is.
1. All of these moments happened after the “Twice As Tall” album dropped. I didn’t have a car at the time. So I got an Uber because I wanted to get shawarma. I entered the cab and the driver was like ‘you look familiar’. I was like, ‘oh nah, it’s not me.’ I was so sure he got the wrong guy but then he asked me what I did for a living and I said I was a banker. He refused oh, and insisted that I was the “funkula” producer. I was amazed, to be honest. That was the first time I realized I was famous.
2. It was in Ghana. Before then, Wiz had followed me on Instagram. Obviously, I produced some songs out there so people were just following me. I didn’t even know Wiz knew me already then. Efya and I went for Mugeez’s birthday. Then Wiz came and he was greeting everyone, then he got to me and he was like ‘hey, Telz bad guy.’ I was shocked. This was January, 2021. I didn’t even know he knew what I looked like.
3. The third one was when I got my Grammy certificate. I couldn’t believe my eyes. It was a surreal moment for me because I was just making beats with no plan of getting all these accolades that I have gotten so far. I felt bigger than I was the day before.
4. Another wow moment for me is every time a “big shot” interacts with me on social media. I am always like ‘ahan, do you even know me like that?’ Sometimes I check the profile of the person and find out that they are following me. The feeling never gets old. I am always in awe because to me, I am just an everyday easy-going guy.
5. last but not the least was an incident that happened in my estate. I was with my friend in a car and we were driving around the estate when all of a sudden, one of the resident security men in my estate raised his hand to stop our car. Initially, I was like ‘what is going on here?’ Then the guy responded by shouting ‘The greatest producer, funkula!’ I was amazed because I didn’t know anyone in the estate at the time. I was wondering how he recognized who I was.
What is DM 5?
DigiMillennials 5 brings you five of everything and anything in the music, film, art, culture, and entertainment spaces, featuring your favorite personalities. Share, like, and make a comment if you enjoyed this one.
Millennials across Africa and in the diaspora have the same picture of what the world should look like. We are documenting it in the coolest ways 🤘